Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Parisian Winter/Strasbourg

So this is classic Paris meets urban meets my style.

Fur is absolutely undeniable, and if it wasn't so difficult to pack, I would have invested in a fur coat by now. Everyone in Paris has a fur coat, and if you can't buy new, the resale stores are stocked with them. I'm also all about the beanies; sensible and very stylish for winter (plus they come in handy with my 9 am classes), I rotate between my matching "Best Friends" hat from Target (Ms. Peterson is the "Best" to my "Friend"), and my Dr.Dog hat (coincidentally, bought with Paige as well. What a fantastic lady). I added a few sneakers in this as well because they are impossible to miss walking around and extremely practical for big city living. I'm not a big fan of the platformed wedge sneaker, but they are quite popular, and I thought I'd throw it in. The ankle booties, called "Pizza Shoes" by Beau, are also the other most popular shoe in Paris right now. Usually worn with skinny or straight leg jeans, this is one of my favorite shoes right now. Unfortunately, I am too nervous to ask if Parisian shoe stores carry a size 42, because like in the United States, it's a size reserved for transvestites and WNBA players, and not produced frequently. My current pursuit is of a vintage gold Casio watch. As much as I like the gold Michael Kors one everyone has, I've got my heart set on this one!
Parisian Winter

Parisian Winter by wiskx featuring a knit beanie



This past weekend, our study abroad group took a trip to Strasbourg. It was a quaint and historical town right on the German border. What really made the trip though, was going to the historic German-style restaurant, Chez Yvonne, and a French wine exposition. It was one of the best meals I've ever had (and lucky us, we went twice). I sampled a local beer, and ate pig knuckle. Lucky for us, the second time around, it was on the program's bill, so we ate like KINGS. I began with escargot, a few beers, stole some of a hot munster cheese puff pastry off of Rachael's plate, and for my main course, a raw beef dish, paired with red wine. For dessert (oh boy! do I mean dessert), I had a three flavors of sorbet, a molten chocolate cake, and an apple liquor. BIG GIRL gotta eat... :) 

The wine exposition showcased wines from every region in the country, and even though Beau, Rachael, and myself probably didn't deserve to attend, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. We went around, stopped at random booths, and continued to ask the same questions in French of "what is this wine best paired with" and "what year is this" (like it matters to us). As they raddled off about the wine, region, and pairing, we swirled our glasses and nodded our heads with common appreciation, or at least tried to make it appear so. By the end of it we left with high spirits, sore necks, and slightly more knowledge in wines (or we'd at least we'd like to say so). We also stopped at Strasbourg Cathedral which was one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen, with incredible architectural uniqueness. While climbing the stairs, Beau and I felt like we were in a Game of Thrones episode, minus the fighting and scandalous scenes (basically just the cool stairs). Our last stop was the Council of Europe. My interest in International Relations made this organization of human standard an interesting stop, but the long day, comfy chairs, and warm room wasn't helping my attendance. 

Tonight I leave for Rome with Beau and Rachael to see our favorite belated birthday boy, Dan Wexler, and explore the city!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment