Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Paris Fashion Week (part I)

So I have a lot to catch up on from these past two weeks. While I was gone, I went to Paris Fashion Week. Take the word "went" very lightly, because as much as I would like to say I was on the list or received even one invitation to the most fabulous event in the world, I would be lying. Instead I scrapped together some new pieces and some old pieces from my scarce study-abroad-wardrobe and stood outside trying to look like I could maybe fit in. Fortunately, I made it in to a few shows, one after party, and a surprising amount of interviews and photographs. Though I would like to attribute this to my cutting edge style, breathtaking beauty, and cool appeal, it is more realistically do to a streak of luck (and maybe a little bit of style). 

This week, in this city, the fashion Gods smiled upon me and said, "go young one, and submerge yourself in the excess and luxuries of this glorious time". 
This picture is my representation of my fashion ecstasy.    
This is how I felt at Fashion Week (notice Anna Dello Russo in the back)

So I was able to attend the Manish Arora afterparty at the W Hotel without an invitation or my name on the list, just strolled in with my leather shorts and fashion smirk. The place was filled with models and people in the business. Filled with enthusiasm, our ages were not well hidden, as we were probably the youngest people there. Our failed attempts at playing it cool and hidden smiles as we walked in were our dead give-aways. Being in this atmosphere made me excited for my hopeful career in the industry and eager for the parties to come.    
Us with Manish Arora


On Saturday we stood outside the VIKTOR & ROLF show at Jardin des Tuileries where we witnessed the kind of fashion you only see at Fashion Week, and even a celebrity or two.


Allo Jessica Chastain
Just me being creepy with Anna Dello Russo

On Sunday, my friend Kristen and I mapped out our day, and our first stop was Maison Rabih Kayrouz, which we were lucky enough to get standing room. As the lights dimmed, and music commenced at my first real fashion show, I got the cliche chill down my spine. To add to my surprise and excitement, I found myself in an unfamiliar situation. As I walked outside of the shows throughout the city, fashion journalists/photographers, bloggers, etc.. filled the fronts; all standing around looking fabulous, wearing shades without sun, while DSLRs hung from their shoulders. Walking towards the the door, I heard the click of a shutter and saw the face of a lens. I then realized that a picture was taken of my outfit. This was probably the coolest I've felt in my life (not an exaggeration, sadly). After the rush of serotonin wore off, I was surprised with another 'click'. After this, people actually started asking to take my picture. I learned my lesson earlier in the week that teeth are not "in", and kept my smiles simple or absent. Throughout the rest of the day this continued, and I absolutely know how exaggerated and jaded this sounds, and even though I probably wouldn't believe this either, it's true.  


MAISON RABIH KAYROUZ
 
The designer
Notice the lack of teeth in my smile, I think I got it down
Photo Credits: myself, Kristen Hwang, and Pierre de Reimpré



No comments:

Post a Comment